How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Oakview Place, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Serene Setting: Situated in the west end of Winnipeg, we are especially proud of our beautiful courtyard which consists of about ½ acre of landscaped grounds with a pond, park benches, covered patio and walking paths that are enjoyed by residents and family members.
- Music Therapy: Twice a week, a music therapist conducts group as well as one-to-one sessions with residents. They play instruments, have singsongs and reminisce together about music.
- Pet Therapy: We regularly have 2 trained pet therapy dogs come into our home to spend time with our residents.
- Live Entertainment: At least 3 times a week our residents enjoy live entertainment, which can range from the Winnipeg symphony to an Elvis impersonator.
- Themed Activities: We have regular themed activities throughout the year that include celebrations like Easter, Canada Day, Octoberfest, Halloween, Valentines Day and a New Year’s Eve.
- Adopt-A-Grandparent: We have an Adopt-A-Grandparent program where special needs young adults choose a resident who would benefit from one-to-one contact and they build a relationship together.
- Intergenerational Program: We also have an Intergenerational Program where every quarter, children from the local day care and elementary school come in to spend time reading, playing games or doing crafts.
- Seated Exercise: Twice a week we have seated exercise classes that focus on general fitness, range of motion, balance and flexibility.
- Choir & Sing-along: Once a week our choir practices and a community choir will also come in and have sing-alongs with residents.
- Baking & Cooking Group: Our Baking & Cooking Group meets once a week and other residents and staff are always ready to enjoy the tasty finished results.
The Adult Day Program encourages socialization among its participants. Our certified staff encourage Physical, Mental, Social stimulating recreational programs. The program also offers relief for caregivers, families and participants. The program is offered Monday to Friday.
- Certified Staff
- Structured recreational activities
- Meals and snacks provided
- Medication reminders
- Exercise activities
- Transportation provided
- Facility hairdresser (fee)
- Nursing availability
- Educational speakers
A client interested in attending an Adult Day Program can contact his or her Home Care Case Coordinator and request that a referral be made to the Adult Day Program. Eligibility criteria will be assessed and the most suitable Adult Day Program will be selected. If not registered with Home Care, you can contact the WRHA Central Intake Number 204-788-8330.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist
- Respiratory Therapist
- Music Therapist
- Specialized Rehabilitation Program