How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Oakview Place, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Serene Setting: Situated in the west end of Winnipeg, we are especially proud of our beautiful courtyard which consists of about ½ acre of landscaped grounds with a pond, park benches, covered patio and walking paths that are enjoyed by residents and family members.
- Music Therapy: Twice a week, a music therapist conducts group as well as one-to-one sessions with residents. They play instruments, have singsongs and reminisce together about music.
- Pet Therapy: We regularly have 2 trained pet therapy dogs come into our home to spend time with our residents.
- Live Entertainment: The Oakview Place Leisure and Lifestyle Department offer many opportunities for residents to enjoy live entertainment throughout the month. Specifically during monthly Birthday Parties for each neighbourhood, and during Pub Night, a once monthly pub program with available cash bar for the residents and their family members. As well, we host many themed parties throughout the year ie. St. Patrick’s Day Pub, Mother’s Day Tea, Father’s Day BBQ, Oktoberfest just to name a few!
- Themed Activities: We have regular themed activities throughout the year that include celebrations like Easter, Canada Day, Octoberfest, Halloween, Valentines Day and a New Year’s Eve.
- Adopt-A-Grandparent: We have an Adopt-A-Grandparent program where special needs young adults choose a resident who would benefit from one-to-one contact and they build a relationship together.
- Intergenerational Program: Oakview Place has had great success with community outreach and have made wonderful connections with nearby schools, Girl Guide and Brownies groups, church youth groups and daycares. Sturgeon Heights Collegiate is our most recent intergenerational success in which every Thursday afternoon students visit the residents of Oakview Place in order to learn about each other’s lives and gain a sense of what it was like growing up in a different time, as well as learning about the aging process and it’s challenges. Our residents adore meeting with their keen students weekly and learning about new things like technology, sports and growing up in today’s world.
- Choir & Sing-along: Once a week our choir practices and a community choir will also come in and have sing-alongs with residents.
- Baking & Cooking Group: The Oakview Place Leisure and Lifestyle Department offer baking programs on and off the neighbourhoods. These programs are not only great for residents to maintain motor functions and dexterity while mixing up ingredients, but are also fun because they of course get to enjoy their hard work and eat their sweet treats! Be sure to check out the monthly calendars for when the next baking program will be.
The Adult Day Program encourages socialization among its participants. Our certified staff encourage Physical, Mental, Social stimulating recreational programs. The program also offers relief for caregivers, families and participants. The program is offered Monday to Friday.
- Certified Staff
- Structured recreational activities
- Meals and snacks provided
- Medication reminders
- Exercise activities
- Transportation provided
- Facility hairdresser (fee)
- Nursing availability
- Educational speakers
A client interested in attending an Adult Day Program can contact his or her Home Care Case Coordinator and request that a referral be made to the Adult Day Program. Eligibility criteria will be assessed and the most suitable Adult Day Program will be selected. If not registered with Home Care, you can contact the WRHA Central Intake Number 204-788-8330.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist
- Respiratory Therapist
- Music Therapist
- Specialized Rehabilitation Program